Our Top Tips for Organising a Charity Golf Day
If you are looking to raise money for a cause or charity, hosting a golf day is a great way of doing so!
Below are some of our top tips to keep in mind if you’re thinking about organising a Charity Golf Day in the future.
- Think carefully when choosing a course to host your event. A course which is not too difficult but offers some challenges will keep players of all abilities happy. A course which can cater for an evening function is also a key component to think about when choosing your venue.
- There are quite a few competition formats that work well at golf days. The most common formats chosen are stroke play, medal & stableford. Take into account your guests abilities & handicaps before deciding as choosing the right format will give all players an equal chance of winning!
- Organising a golf day on your own is a difficult task, if you have the resources you should try to put together an event committee. This will ensure that no stone is left unturned and nothing important is forgotten.
- Allow yourself plenty of time in the build up to your golf day to get everything finished and signed off. This will save you a stressful run up & you will enjoy your day much more.
Fundraising on the Day
There are several ways you can raise money through hosting a golf day. Some of the popular fundraising methods include:
- Ticket sales & registration fees
- Selling mulligans for a charitable donation
- Captain’s Hole – choose one hole where missing the green means the player must donate £10 to the cause or charity being supported
- Longest Drive & nearest to the pin competitions
- A Silent Auction held at a lunch/ evening function on your golf day can be a great way to raise extra funds. If you would like to know more about how we can run a free silent auction at your event, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
- “Donation Envelopes” on each table for a lunch/evening function can be useful for collecting any extra donations you wouldn’t have collected otherwise
Promoting the Event
Selling plenty of tickets is vital if you want your event to be a success. There are several ways in which you market your event to boost sales:
- If you or anyone on your committee knows potential players, sending them a personal invite to play at your event is a fantastic way of getting them to sign up.
- Design marketing material promoting your golf day, include all key information (ticket price, date etc.) and display in relevant areas such as golf clubs in areas around your chosen course, local shops & community centres.
- If budget allows, consider advertising in local papers & magazines, this can be a great way to reach out to a wider audience.
- Local radios & newspapers may be willing to give your event some much needed press if they know it is raising money for a worthy cause or charity.
After your Golf Day
Be sure to thank all your guests, the golf course, volunteers & people who have donated to your chosen cause or charity. Loyal donators & helpers will be more inclined to support you in the future if they know that there support is valued!